Mold is a common problem in many homes and can be both unsightly and dangerous to your health. If you suspect mold in your home, it’s important to address the issue as soon as possible. Professional mold remediation typically costs between $500 and $6,000, but it can cost thousands if the problem gets severe.
Hire a Mold Inspector First
When hiring an inspector, make sure you verify their credentials. Although the mold industry is not regulated in any way, there are guidelines that will help you to know if you are hiring a professional.
- Qualified inspectors must have a minimum of an undergraduate degree in a science/engineering field. They should also have completed approved coursework in mold investigation from industry, preferably through the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (formerly the American Indoor Air Quality Council).
- They should have industry-respected credentials such as CIH or CIEC (Council certified Indoor Environmental Consultant).
- They must work independently from a mold remediation firm (reputable remediation companies employ a third-party inspector) and they shouldn’t sell mold related products.
- They must provide a custom report, which includes laboratory results from air and surface samples.
- They shouldn’t make one type of mold more dangerous than the other.
- You should ask them if a mold problem can be solved at home or if you need to hire a professional mold remediation specialist.
A site visit by a qualified inspector will cost $200-$600 and take between 2-5 hours. To find mold, the inspector may take air samples or open walls.
This article was written by a professional at SK Restorations. SK Restorations is one of the leading providers of construction services to the emerging residential and commercial construction industries throughout Florida and the Carolinas. With over 30 years of experience, SK Restorations continues to strive as a full-service construction contracting company and to provide top-notch results for various customers, whether commercial or residential, large, or small. We also offer Mold Remediation in Fort Myers FL.