Q: Is there a very good yard calendar I can down load to enable remind me of every month gardening tasks?
A: Glad you asked! The UT-TSU Extension has just posted their 2022 calendar. It can be identified at: https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Paperwork/W436.pdf. This calendar was developed to help Tennessee gardeners thrive.
Right here are some other very good things to do this month to assist your backyard garden be a achievement this year:
• Get people pruners off of the wall and see if they want some treatment. Lubricate the pivot with somelight-weight oil and sharpen it. This is a good YouTube video on sharpening pruners: https://www.youtube.com/enjoy?v=1vvBkPQZzOU. Sharpened back garden resources are so substantially far better to use than dull kinds and you will notice the variance! Pruning tree limbs will be so a great deal easier and the pruned region will mend much more quickly to the betterment of the plant or tree. And your shoulders will not get so sore from acquiring to exert so much work.
Your backyard hoes and shovels could also be sharpened. You will also detect the variance when you commence digging into our well known Northeast Tennessee red clay or likely via tiny roots. Here is a further excellent YouTube video on this: https://www.youtube.com/observe?v=s3mrlMfTZos
• Get online or dig out individuals seed catalogs you obtained past fall and start out planning your spring plantings. Recall the indicating from previous summer season, “Proper preparing helps prevent inadequate efficiency.”
• Talking of setting up, it’s often helpful to have a diagram of your garden plot. This is a excellent time to draw out a sketch of your back garden and even prepare where by you want to area your bouquets or vegetables for the yr. A superior commence on that is this helpful tutorial to scheduling your vegetable yard structure on the University of Illinois Extension internet site: https://internet.extension.illinois.edu/vegguide/action02.cfm.
If you have a resolution to finally get your lawn or flower back garden in get, UT-TSU Extension also has a printable tutorial for landscaping design to assist get you began. Verify it out here: https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Files/W869.pdf.
The over really should preserve you garden-hectic as a result of January for results during the calendar year!
– Your helpful Learn Gardener.
• If you have a query for the Learn Gardeners, post them to us on our web site at www.netmga.internet. Click on the link at the prime of the webpage, “ASK A Grasp GARDENER,” to deliver in your question. Issues that aren’t answered in this column will receive a reaction from a Master Gardener to the make contact with information you offer.
• It is a new calendar year and a new Master Gardener Teaching is acquiring all set to start off. Registration is open up for our 2022 Master Gardener Teaching Plan. Courses commence on Jan. 25, and the registration deadline is Jan. 14, so really do not hold out to sign-up. Simply call the UT-TSU Extension business office for Sullivan County at 423-574-1919 or the UT-TSU Extension place of work in Washington County at 423- 753-1680 for much more information and facts and how to sign up. It’s pleasurable, instructive, and a terrific way to fulfill folks who share your enjoy of gardening. Contact today. Hope to see you on Jan. 25!
• If you have a issue for the Master Gardeners, post them to us on our web page at www.netmga.web. Click on the hyperlink at the major of the web page, “ASK A Learn GARDENER” to mail in your issue. Inquiries that aren’t answered in this column will get a reaction from a Grasp Gardener to the get hold of details you give.
The Learn Gardener System is made available by the College of Tennessee Extension. The reason of the Grasp Gardener software is to train folks as horticultural-educated volunteers. These volunteers do the job in partnership with the local Extension business in their counties to grow academic outreach, offering home gardeners with researched-based information.